Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Four Sisters

In a time before North America was pillaged by explorers and settlers, the Native Americans were practicing companion planting - an agricultural practice that utilized the strengths of plants that benefited the surrounding plants. They are known as the Three Sisters - maize, beans, and squash. The maize provided support for the beans to grow up onto, the beans provided nitrogen to the soil, and the squash spread out along the ground blocking sunlight and therefore preventing weeds, as well as retaining moisture locked in the ground. Sometimes a Fourth Sister was planted, one that would attract pollinators. This Sister was often the Rocky Mountain Bee Plant, or sometimes Sunflowers.

I wanted to do a set of stamps about the Four Sisters, because they're an example of coexistence that I find fascinating.

They're all wood cuts (my first ever!). I really like the texture it creates - you can still see the wood grain if you look close.

4 comments:

Marie said...

beautiful kevin!

folderol said...

Thanks Marie!

Ann Martin said...

You're so right - fascinating! Your wood cuts look great. And I have to say folderol is one of the cleverest screen names I've come across.

folderol said...

Thank you Ann! I'll be posting what I did with the stamps in a day or two if you wanna check back in on them!

 

Web Page Counters