Sunday, October 25, 2009

Reservations

Had to do a project unifying type and visuals on a current topic. I did mine on the plight of Native Americans in the US and how it's a damn shame that said plight is not actually a current topic, disregarding the fact that they are in actuality the first people we raped of their homes, and in many cases forced them into slavery only to build our fortresses and encampments.

We also had to focus on how the binding affects the project itself.

This is how I bound mine:

I wanted something vaguely reminiscent of Indian crafts, but know that nothing I could make could match the real quality of authentic craft. Ironically, while I was sewing this together in public, the project's meaning deepened a little bit. One woman told me it looked like I was doing a Cub Scout project. And then a girl asked me if I was sewing a cell phone holder and how much I could make if I started selling them in a boutique or Etsy. It saddens me that Native American art has been reduced so much, when I have seen so many beautiful pieces that were worked on in the spirit of true craft.

In fact this whole project was a bit sad.

I chose 9 wildflowers native only to North America, and on the back of each one stenciled an honest truth about the Native American state as brought on by white selfishness.

This is the stencil I made to do the letters. It's all of the words but only cutting one of each required letter:

No comments:

 

Web Page Counters